Full Stack Software Engineer
We’re looking for a full stack software engineer to join our small but growing engineering team. In addition to developing features, you will have the opportunity to shape product decisions, build the development culture of a new team and help make the world a better place.
We work with Ruby, Rails, Spine.js, Coffeescript, and several other technologies that help us solve problems and ship code. Experience with these is a plus, but we are happy to train the right person to work in this environment.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Full-stack web application development experience
- A desire to collaborate on a team and learn new tools and techniques
- An interest in working on site in New York City
Bonus points for:
- Experience with test-driven development or continuous delivery
- A code sample (or a link to an open source contribution) for us to review
- Links to projects on the web
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. We also offer a collegial and passionate culture and the potential to positively impact the lives of millions of children.
To apply, please send a resume and a bit about yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org
What you'll do
We are looking for talented and charismatic teachers to lead our on-camera lessons! This is your chance to become one of the faces of Zearn, and to engage and inspire kids across the country. The time commitment is just 1 to 10 days a year, can work around your teaching schedule, and you don’t need any prior on-camera experience!
If you are passionate about inspiring kids, excited to bring them joyful AND rigorous instruction, comfortable teaching math, and can film in New York City, we want to hear from you!
Zearn offers a competitive compensation, as well as the chance to positively impact the lives of millions of children. However, we are not able to cover travel costs.
Zearn is accepting submissions on an ongoing basis. Follow the instructions below to apply:
- Create a one-minute video of yourself as though you were speaking to a small group of 3rd graders. You can use your phone or webcam. In the video
- Introduce yourself
- Tell 'your students' three facts about yourself
- Tell 'your students' why you like math
- Upload your video to YouTube. Use the 'unlisted' setting, which allows anyone with the link to view the clip, but ensures your video isn't searchable to the public
- Write a short bio telling us why you became a teacher and a high-level summary of your background as an educator
- Email the YouTube link, biography, and your preferred method of contact to email@example.com
Zearn is a nonprofit educational organization based in New York that creates ground-breaking math learning curriculum with the goal that all children reach their potential as curious, courageous and kind problem solvers. The Finance Associate will work at Zearn's partner UKA Ventures to play a key role in delivering a smoothly functioning day‐to‐day financial operation at Zearn. The Finance Associate will report to and be supported by UKA Ventures’ Director of Finance and will play a critical role on a team that currently supports three entrepreneurial organizations with plans to bring more on board soon. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to use his or her accounting skills in a mission‐drive environment to learn all the ins and outs of nonprofit finance.
We Want You!
You may be great for this job if you:
- Jump at the chance to build something new
- Delight in details
- Dig making spreadsheets
- Love when numbers match to the penny
- Enjoy working on a small, supportive team
The Financial Associate will perform day‐to‐day bookkeeping, payroll, and reporting functions for Zearn, including:
- Process all A/P functions, including daily bookkeeping of processing invoices, issuing checks, preparing for signatures and disbursement
- Process all A/R functions, including daily bookkeeping of cash receipts for earned revenue and restricted/unrestricted grants
- Handle all payroll activities, ensuring compliance with applicable employment and tax laws
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of all financial transactions, including booking and monitoring accrual entries as needed and performing reconciliations
- Close the books on a monthly basis and assisting with financial reports and audit preparation
- File all finance documentation and maintaining organized and secure files at all times
- Assist with benefits plan administration
- Manage HR files with all necessary documentation
- BA, preferably with a quantitative or logical reasoning focus
- 1‐2 years of accounting experience or related internship at a non‐profit or start‐up organization
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles, knowledge of nonprofit accounting a plus
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- An enthusiastic attention to detail
- Professional and friendly demeanor with demonstrated success in service‐oriented roles
- Commitment to closing the opportunity gap in education
UKA Ventures offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full‐time employees.
About UKA Ventures
UKA Ventures is an education nonprofit incubator founded by education leaders with over 20 years of experience developing, launching and operating successful schools and education programs. By providing start‐up expertise, strategic guidance, and fundraising support, UKA Ventures helps entrepreneurs focus on developing and executing their programmatic vision as they build their new organizations.
UKA’s first project was the Teacher U at Hunter College program, a teacher training and certification program that evolved into the independent Relay Graduate School of Education that now serves 1,700 students in teacher and school leader training programs across 8 campuses.
UKA Ventures currently supports three start‐up projects. In addition to Zearn, UKA supports Generation Teach, a summer teaching fellowship program for high school and college students; and Cooperman College Scholars, a college scholarship program for high‐potential, low‐ income students from Essex County, New Jersey.
Please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please be sure to explain the following: why you are interested in this position at UKA Ventures; of which work‐related accomplishments you are most proud; and what your ideal work environment looks like. A member of our team will respond to you within a week. Thank you for your interest!
School Engagement Associate
Zearn is a nonprofit education organization that creates ground-breaking math learning content and apps that deeply and uniquely partner with educators so all children can reach their potential as curious, courageous and kind problem solvers.
Today, math proficiency is largely a test of ability, where a few decide they are good at math and most decide they aren’t. We believe it is possible to create a world where math proficiency is a reward for effort and all can succeed in K- 8 mathematics. We are working to create that world.
Please join us. We plan to have some fun changing the world.
What you'll do
As a School Engagement Associate, you will support Zearn’s frequent interactions and communication with educators and students. Our team works with teachers and administrators using Zearn to ensure that they have a smooth and positive experience incorporating Zearn into their classrooms. School Engagement Associates play a critical role in ensuring that we maintain high quality interactions with schools as we significantly grow the number of users this year.
- Identify efficient and effective processes for responding to and learning from user support inquiries, thinking both about our current process and the process we will need as we scale to hundreds of thousands of users
- Respond to user support inquiries in a thoughtful and organized way
- Analyze data to develop insights on user acquisition, engagement, and retention, and share findings and recommendations with the Growth team, Product team and the broader Zearn Team
- Communicate clearly with Zearn teachers, students and parents, playing a key role in shaping the “Zearn voice”
- Develop deep expertise in the Zearn product, working closely with Zearn team members from different functions including engineering, product, and academics
- Identify an efficient and effective process for capturing, tracking, responding to, and learning from Student and Teacher feedback
- Lead effort to support Teachers and Administrators during Zearn enrollment
Ideal candidates will have
- 2+ years of work experience, either in business or education
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Excel and data analysis
- Commitment to Zearn’s mission of numeracy for all
- Desire for an entrepreneurial environment at an early stage startup
Zearn offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package. Zearn is based in NYC, but this role could be based remotely, with a preference for west coast. We have a collegial and motivated team, challenging problems to solve, and the chance to impact the lives of millions of children. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com