Zearn: dynamic digital lessons to learn and love math.
We are an early stage non-profit building a revolutionary digital learning experience for K-8 students. Our content is rigorous and motivating and designed to inspire students, teachers, and parents.
Our founders are nationally recognized leaders in K-12 education. We are a passionate team of teachers, engineers, designers, and product creators, working closely together to build a student experience that instills academic skills, love of learning, and confidence in students.
We’re looking for a full stack web developer to become the fourth member of our growing engineering team. In addition to developing features, you will have the opportunity to shape product decisions, build the development culture of a new team and help make the world a better place.
We work with Ruby, Rails, Spine.js, Coffeescript, and several other technologies that help us solve problems and ship code. Experience with these is a plus, but we are happy to train the right person to work in this environment.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Full-stack web application development experience
- A desire to collaborate on a team and learn new tools and techniques
- An interest in working on site in New York City
Bonus points for:
- Experience with test-driven development or continuous delivery
- A code sample (or a link to an open source contribution) for us to review
- Links to projects on the web
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. We also offer a collegial and passionate culture and the potential to positively impact the lives of millions of children.
To apply, please send a resume and a bit about yourself to email@example.com
What you'll do
We are looking for talented and charismatic teachers to lead our on-camera lessons! This is your chance to become one of the faces of Zearn, and to engage and inspire kids across the country. The time commitment is just 1 to 10 days a year, can work around your teaching schedule, and you don’t need any prior on-camera experience!
If you are passionate about inspiring kids, excited to bring them joyful AND rigorous instruction, comfortable teaching math, and can film in New York City, we want to hear from you!
Zearn offers a competitive compensation, as well as the chance to positively impact the lives of millions of children. However, we are not able to cover travel costs.
Zearn is accepting submissions on an ongoing basis. Follow the instructions below to apply:
- Create a one-minute video of yourself as though you were speaking to a small group of 3rd graders. You can use your phone or webcam. In the video
- Introduce yourself
- Tell 'your students' three facts about yourself
- Tell 'your students' why you like math
- Upload your video to YouTube. Use the 'unlisted' setting, which allows anyone with the link to view the clip, but ensures your video isn't searchable to the public
- Write a short bio telling us why you became a teacher and a high-level summary of your background as an educator
- Email the YouTube link, biography, and your preferred method of contact to firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Finance and Operations
What you'll do
Zearn’s Director of Finance and Operations will report to the CEO and:
- Provide sound financial management
- Build and maintain a long-term financial model by researching and testing key assumptions, conducting scenario analyses, and analyzing key financial and operational metrics
- Build and maintain current knowledge of applicable accounting and reporting policies
- Manage all internal and external financial reporting and day-to-day accounting activity
- Manage finance staff (currently an outsourced bookkeeping service)
- Work with the CEO and CPO to manage the annual budgeting process
- Maintain updated, accurate budget projections by working with departmental managers
- Ensure a clean and seamless audit
- Maintain sound fiscal policies and continuously improve financial operations
- Support human capital efforts
- Coordinate recruitment, hiring, and onboarding efforts
- Work with the CEO to improve and implement personnel policies that evolve as Zearn grows
- Implement a performance management system
- Institute a retirement plan and manage other benefits
- Oversee administrative operations
- Manage all office space and facilities operations, including any changes in office space
- Coordinate contracting with individuals and organizations
- Manage insurance
- Oversee IT infrastructure
- Coordinate team events, including Design Studio sessions and retreats
- Ensure smooth office operations and supervise the Office Manager
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
Top applicants will have:
- BA/BS; Master’s degree preferred
- At least five years of professional experience with three years in a finance-related position
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles; knowledge of nonprofit accounting and reporting preferred
- Expertise in Excel
- Excellent project management, systems-building, and organizational skills
- Acute attention to detail
- Professional and friendly demeanor
- Commitment to Zearn’s mission of delivering an excellent education to all children
Zearn offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package. We have a collegial and motivated team, challenging problems to solve, a convenient office in Manhattan, and the chance to impact the lives of millions of children.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com